Great project

Aug 20, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Really great project, started very well. When you think to provide buttons or other controls, as I can see from PanoramaSample there's only the awesome panorama desktop.

Coordinator
Aug 23, 2010 at 12:51 PM

I'm working on that. I'm not sure if I'll add a button control, but the idea is to have touch-aware elements like images or text, where you can launch actions.

I need to fix a little issue that is preventing an accurate tap detection on elements within the panorama. But depending on the device, you can see the first panorama section is currently detecting the tap on "list page" and "gestures". But with some big issues.

The project stills in development, and this is a very early code. I just wanted to start getting some feedback, and making it available so you can start reusing part of the code if it can help with your current projects.

In fact, I don't even blog about it yet ;)

My next steps are:

1. Fix the tap region detection issue.

2. Build a feedback mechanism, maybe a customizable hierarchical transition animation for each element.

3. Improve the sample with a little additional functionality.

I'll be publishing a video of the sample soon, once I have at least those items done.

There still a lot of stuff to be done. I expect some of you helping me with this as my available time is not the ideal. ;)

Thanks for your feedback!

-J

Nov 18, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Posted at XDA as well, but figure this is the spot.

I love what you have done so far, its wicked fast, and very smooth. Everything I look for! I am running an Imagio with stock Verizon ROM using sense 2.1 and WM6.5. I only added some speed tweeks and visual updates. I am running net 3.5/3.7.

I would like to beta test, if its possible to run it on the Imagio. Or even give it a shot to see if it will run. Drop me a line and let me know what you think.

Coordinator
Nov 18, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Thanks Jerry,

Fleux should work on the Imagio too. The full feature version works great on the htc HD2, but the it should work in almost any WinMo 5+ device w/.Net CF 3.5, but without the smoothness of the HD2.

However, there are some tweaks that can be done in your app to boost the performance if needed. i.e. you can use a smaller panorama background, or do not use a background at all, or you can simplified some elements avoiding rendering and gesture handling logic.

If you want just the binaries of the demo, send me an email to jose@mobilepractices.net and I'll send you back a zip or cab so you can test it on your device.

Cheers,

-J

Nov 22, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Awesome work jose, really impressive !

But it needs one of the latest WM6.5 devices to run smoothly, I've tried it on a HTC Touch Pro2 sporting the previous generation of CPU (MSM7200A @ 520MHz) and it's not usable. Yet ?

Nov 22, 2010 at 8:28 PM

i made a test based on Cab demo... 

Device : TG01

Screen : Standard (no multitouch)

A little bit problem to slide correctly on each panel...

a liitle bit dely in gesture mod to capture pressure effect like tap hold and moving...

Other i think, you can make a beatifull applications with this tool...

Awesome !

Coordinator
Nov 22, 2010 at 11:03 PM

Hello everyone,

First of all thanks for your feedback. This is really useful. I really appreciate your input which will definitely help making fleux a better engine.

Let me share some of my thoughts about fleux, performance and device compatibility.

It was never my goal to build fleux targeting only the HTC HD2 or similar devices hardware-wise. But that was my main testing device, and that was actually a good thing, as it let me fly in terms of a rich extensible design far from the original simpler and constrained approach. I think a wonderful device like the HD2 shouldn't be penalized for the limitations of older devices, but at the same time, fleux should be usable in those devices, even with some eye candy and smoothness fee.

There are several points of optimization where we can work to get better performance in slower devices, and fleux is actually enabling and facilitating them.

Those optimization can be implemented at two different levels:

1. UI Engine level

In the most advanced scenario, I can see fleux automatically disabling some features like shadowed transitions, disabling panorama backgrounds, or keeping some extra graphic buffers depending the device it's running on. There are also some potential optimization spots like the way the fleuxcontrol is draw, as it's currently rebuilding every visible element. Animations can also be improved, there are some pending work on that. I can even imagine some controls behaving different in slower devices, i.e. reacting to the flick gesture for switching between sections but not providing immediate panning feedback, so they can be more responsive.

2. Application level

You can design your app to simplify the elements graph so it will work faster. Also, you can keep graphically cached some of the static part of your app. I plan to post several samples about how can be optimized a fleux based application. In some extreme scenarios you can even override the out of the box control implementation to optimize it according to your needs.

I'm very interested in your thoughts. I know fleux has the potential to fulfill that UX gap WinMo have against other current mobile OS, and we all together can make it a reality.

Thanks!

-J