Runnin on a windows host

Sep 13, 2010 at 2:40 PM
Edited Sep 15, 2010 at 7:24 AM

Hi!

I'm abit new to the .net world, but .net is the platform I'm forced to write my app for ;)

In a search of a good UI framework I've found only your project, and actually was quite excited by the quality and the amount of work already done.

Right now I'm evaluating a possibility to use your framework in my app (if so, it'll definitely require an extension/fixing :-), so far a couple of questions:

My choice of your framework was basically driven by the requirement to write app over very limited WinCE build - and your framework is the only good one, which runs smoothly. I've checked out some others (fluid, silvermoon, etc.) - they have common requirement of win mobile os, not winCE. Do you have any plans to keep up and stick with such a low platforms?

Next, I can't run your sample app on a windows host - however I see no obstacles why it shouln't be running there... I'm getting

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Fleux.Controls.Panorama.SnappingPanoramaControl.Pan(Point from, Point to, Boolean done) in SnappingPanoramaControl.cs:line 198
   at Fleux.Controls.Gestures.GesturesEngine.RaisePan(Point from, Point to, Boolean done) in GesturesEngine.cs:line 131
   at Fleux.Controls.Gestures.GesturesEngine.MouseMove(Point point) in GesturesEngine.cs:line 77
   at Fleux.Controls.Panorama.SnappingPanoramaControl.OnMouseMove(MouseEventArgs e) in SnappingPanoramaControl.cs:line 153
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseMove(Message& m)

Think it would be good to have ability to run and test apps on windows hosts, not only on mobile platform.

Thanks in advance!

Coordinator
Sep 14, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Hi Cail,

Fleux hasn't been developed for running on windows, but with some work it would run.

I think what's failing in your test was part of the auto-scaling infrastructure.

About your first question, Fleux will continue evolving with the less dependencies as possible, as it's now. Maybe in a future, it would introduce some features using something else, if that really makes sense, but my idea is to keep the original set of features working without any additional dependency.

If you're interested in making it work for Windows, feel free to do the changes needed and we can integrate them in the trunk.

Fleux was started as a Windows Mobile UI engine, but one of the things that I keep in my mind, is that the API would provide an interesting portability level, and who knows, we might have even a SL, or a WP7 version of Fleux in the future.

But this project is just starting.

Thanks for your feedback! 

Sep 15, 2010 at 7:18 AM

Hi Jose,

Thanks for your reply,

Its great to hear regarding "less dependencies", in case I really start using your project, I can help tracking on this.

Regarding windows. I've actually already digged abit (you may checkout my fork "fleuxdesktop") - and made it run on windows desktop more or less seameless.

I've also fixes some minor bugs which appeared on Windows. BTW think this is another reason why it is good to support multiplatform code:
many bugs (especially with multithreaded communications as in your code) only appear in some rare circumstances.

After thinking over, it seems that having my app on Windows desktop will be a good bonus, so I'll probably keep tracking on how it behaves on desktop.